CSS stands for ‘Cascading Style Sheets’. CSS is a style sheet language that is used to define the visual appearance and formatting of markup languages such as ‘HTML’, ‘XML’, etc.
In modern websites, CSS plays an important role as it makes the web pages more attractive and easier to navigate, which can create a great user experience and branding of your business.
CSS was first introduced in 1996 by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). The latest version of CSS is CSS3 which has introduced several new styling features to enhance the capability of CSS.
What CSS can do?
- It can add colors, background colors, borders, etc. to your website.
- It can present the same webpage differently based on the screen size of the device.
- It can change the look of elements based on their current states(such as hover, click, focus, etc.).
- It can transform elements like rotate, skew, scale, etc. in 2D or 3D space.
- It can control the appearance of several web pages using a single style sheet.
- It can provide the flexibility of how the HTML elements should be displayed on a screen, paper, or any other media device.
Advantages of Using CSS
There are several advantages of using CSS. Few of them are listed below:
- Faster Page Speed– Writing less code means faster page speed. A CSS style defined once can be reused anywhere across the website, which results in less duplication of code and therefore faster page speed.
- Better User Experience– CSS not only makes the web pages look better but also creates a better user experience because when the buttons, text, navigations, etc are in logical places and well organized, user experience improves.
- Multiple Device Compatibility– In today’s world, responsive web design matters a lot. And CSS provides us this flexibility. Using CSS the same web page can be represented differently based on the device size, such as tablet, mobile, desktop, or even smart TV.
- Easy to Maintain– In modern websites, CSS styles are separated from the main document and written in an external CSS file. So, if you want to change any existing style it would be easier to update and the changes will reflect across the website wherever applicable.
What this CSS tutorial covers?
This CSS tutorial covers all the concepts of CSS from basic to advanced level. In each tutorial, we have provided several real-world examples which will help you to better understand the concept. We have also created several tools like live-demo, try-it-now online editor, color picker, etc. which will provide more flexibility to understand the topic.